Excluded Foods to Avoid
Fruit: Oranges, orange juice, grapefruit, strawberries, grapes, banana, goji berries, raisins, plantains
Dairy: All milk, cheese, cottage cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, ghee, ice cream, non-dairy creamers
Grains: Corn, Barley, Spelt, Kamut (farrow), Rye, Couscous, Oats, Tritical, Wheat, White Rice, Tabbouleh, Cous Cous, wheat based pasta or noodles
Meat: Eggs, Raw fish, Pork, Beef, Veal, Sausage, Cold Cuts, Canned Meats, Hot Dogs, Shellfish, Frankfurters, Kielbasa, bacon, smoked meats of any kind
Plant based protein: Soybean products (soy sauce, soybean oil in processed foods, tofu, soy milk, soy yogurt), Textured Vegetable Protein, soy cheese
Nuts: Peanuts, peanut butter
Vegetables: Corn, Creamed vegetables, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Eggplants, All Peppers
Oils: Butter, margarine, shortening, processed oils, canola oil, salad dressings, mayonnaise, soy based spreads
Beverages: Alcohol, coffee, soda pop, soft drinks, black or oolong tea, fruit juice (unless it's fresh-pressed)
Sweeteners: Agave, Brown rice syrup, Refined sugar, white/brown sugars, honey, maple syrup, high fructose corn syrup, evaporated cane juice, Splenda®, Equal®, Sweet’N Low®, molasses, erythritol
Condiments: Chocolate, most Jam & Jellies (made with sugar), ketchup, relish, chutney, soy sauce,barbecue sauce, teriyaki, Bragg's Amino Acids, other condiments, Gum (unless natural & organic, there are some made with stevia- Spry brand is allowed, same for mints)
Things to Watch For: Read ingredient labels carefully
- Corn and potato starch is often present in baking powder, beverages, and processed foods.
- Vinegar, mayonnaise, and some mustard can often include wheat, corn or soy as well as added sugars.
- Breads advertised as gluten-free still might contain sugar, oats, spelt, kamut, potato starch or corn.
- Many amaranth and millet flake cereals contain oat or corn.
- Many canned tunas contain textured vegetable protein, which is from soy; look for low-salt versions, which tend to be pure tuna, with no fillers and get water packed if canned.
- Multi-grain rice cakes are not just rice. Be sure to purchase plain organic brown rice cakes.
- “Natural flavors” can mean it contains MSG.